South Eastern Railway
The Nagpur Chhattisgarh railway went on to become the Bengal Nagpur railway in 1887 which formed the very first appearance of the currently known South Eastern railway. This was then separated from the main Bengal Nagpur railway in 1955 and formed an individual zone which we now know as the South Eastern zone.
In 1967, the South Eastern railway extended itself to include the Bankura Domodar River line and comprised to form the 8 divisions.
Up until 2003, it consisted of 8 divisions namely South Eastern Railway comprises of 8 divisions: Kharagpur, Adra, Sambalpur, Khurda Road, Visakhapatnam, Chakradharpur, Bilaspur and Nagpur, after which 2 new divisions Khurda road and Vishakhapatnam were brought into existence.
Further, in April 2003, the South Eastern Railway zone’s Nagpur and Bilaspur divisions along with the new Raipur division was created to form the South East Central Railway zone.
This zone extends in the states of West Bengal, Jharkhand, and Odisha with its headquarters in Garden Reach, Kolkata. The South Eastern railway is quite technologically advanced with multiple electric units installed in Tikiapara, Kharagpur, and Panskura.
Additionally, there are electric locomotive sheds installed in Santragachi, Tatanagar, Bokaro Steel City and Bondamunda, and diesel locomotive sheds in Kharagpur, Bokaro Steel City, and Bondamunda.
A major workshop of the South Eastern railway is located in Kharagpur and a coach maintenance yard is in Santragachi. The South Eastern railway is majorly responsible for the transport of passenger trains as well as freight ones, especially between Kolkata and Haldia.